St Nicholas' Church was originally the Parish Church of Brighton, until the population and congregation increased so much that the larger Church of St Peter, which had been built in 1828, became the Parish Church in 1873. Various Redman baptisms, weddings and funerals took place at St Nicholas' Church.
In 1881, as recorded in the Census, Joseph Henry Redman (1848-1900) and his family were living at 12 Chatham Place. Harry Redman (1880-1950), who was aged one at the time of this Census, later told his daughter Lois that their house and several others were demolished to make way for the Seven Dials roundabout. This photo of 12 Chatham Place (the house on the left, taken in 2001) is not, after renumbering, the actual home but, being further down the street, is probably similar.