Cochrane Homes in Donegal
Edenmore, Stranorlar was first recorded as the home of John Coghran (1690-c1760). Four succeeding generations continued to live at Edenmore. The existing house (which is the third) was built as a 2 storey gable ended house in the late 1700s. At the front, there is a 3-sided central bow with one bay on either side of it. The house is flanked by detached wings running back (in the early 1900s, one was the China Room and the other the Estate Office), one much longer than the other. The front ends of the two wings have 3-sided bows matching the bow in the centre of the house. The wings are linked to the house, forming one long elevation.
John Cochrane (1834-1901) and his wife Martha later moved with about eleven children to Combermore (see picture below), which had been her father's home. Edenmore remained in the family until after the siblings Anna Maria Cochrane (1838-1919) and Henry Edward Cochrane (1845-1919) had both died at Edenmore in 1919.
Combermore, Lifford was the home of Dr Robert Little MD (1814-1881) and then passed on to his eldest daughter Martha Little (1847-1931) who had married John Cochrane (1834-1901).
Revised on 29 September 2011
© Geoffrey H Henderson